Sunday, October 14, 2012

Get over your fear of sales!

Get Over Yourself

By: Pam Sowder, Director of Marketing for It Works

I joined by first network marketing company in the fall of 1994. I was so scared to get started for so many “really stupid reasons” that I did nothing. Here were some of those reasons:

1. What will people think? Dumb, they don’t think about you anyway and if they do it is only fleeting.
2. What if I say the wrong thing? Later found out that the more you think you “do wrong” can work in your favor. You are not perfect and either are they so they embrace your imperfection and think, “Well if she can do it, so can I”.
3. What if I fail? Who cares, most people fail because they don’t stay in it long enough so I started thinking if I just stay in it long enough maybe it will work and it did. I’ve always read that if you stay with the same company for 10 years and continue building that you will become a millionaire. So, what else do you have to do over the next 10 years?
4. What if I succeed? Really this was just as scary as failing. Then you have to worry about people thinking your changing cause you have all this money and success. Again, who cares? Succeed.
5. There were many more excuses so thankfully I have forgotten most of them. Actually, any excuse will do because it comes down to one and that is FEAR!

You see I was afraid. I was afraid to get started. I didn’t know what to do so I organized everything and bought all the “stuff”, made labels, got the postcards, brochures, etc. and DID NOTHING! Wow! This was fun! Not really. Then, I attended a meeting where one of the top money earners spoke. It was really interesting because I thought he was going to be some hot shot big time speaker with all the money I heard he was making. Well, he was making the money but he didn’t seem to be such a Hot Shot after all and I thought if he can do it so can I. I waited in line to say a few words to him and when it was my turn I started coming up with all kinds of excuses as to why I wasn’t successful yet. He wasn’t buying into at all. He stood back and looked at me with this really funny look on his face and said, “You are just too prissy for this”. I can’t quite put into words how that made me feel but he was right. I started tearing up and knew that he nailed it. I thought I was too good for network marketing. You see I use to sell IBM Computers and to me this was not as cool. I had a two hour drive home from that meeting and I cried all the way home but I made a decision that I would get over myself and start building a business because my why was to be able to stay at home with my children and dang gone it I was going to do just that.

I made my list, contacted a few prospects and invited them over to my house on a Tuesday night. My sponsor committed to coming and helping me but 30 minutes prior to the meeting he called and said he couldn’t make it. I told him that I was going to turn off all the lights and pretend that I wasn’t there because I couldn’t do it without him. He coached me on and when the time came I opened the door and let them come in but right before that first ding dong I threw up because I was so scared. Twelve people showed up that night and one actually signed up. I would not be there today if I had not gotten over myself. You must decide what you want out of this business and you just have to get started. Get over yourself. Fear is not worth sacrificing your dreams over. I promise you it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment